I like to create variations of things. I think it’s partly because I don’t want to have to reinvent the wheel every single time that I make something. Having a base pattern (or method of working) makes parts of my doll projects go so much more quickly. I tend to get impatient while working, mostly because if I’ve got the piece finished in my mind, then I want it to be finished in the physical world so I can look at it in three dimensions. You’ve heard me say before, I’m the poster child for the concept of instant gratification.
With the aforementioned in mind, and a kitten and bunny doll pattern pretty much hammered out, I decided that I’d try tweaking the pattern to make a bear too. Easy-peasy, I thought. Change the ears and the tail and POOF! I’d have a bear.
I got chipmunks.
I’m reminded of when I was teaching myself to crochet. I was trying to make a simple square, like a potholder, and I kept getting triangles. Triangle after triangle, until I realized that I wasn’t adding the additional required stitch so I could turn the piece correctly. I felt like a fool when I realized the simple mistake I was making, and I kind of feel foolish now, thinking that the bear would be just as easy.
I was also not too smart about the back legs. The legs on the bear need to be ‘Pi’ legs too, just like the bunny. I didn’t use patch faces either. Blerg. They aren’t a total loss. I’m going to add some stripes and some acorns and they’ll be chipmunks.
I really wanted bears though, so, back to the drawing board! I need to change the basic body so it’s more bear-like, and the legs too. The nose is wrong too. It needs to be black. What I need to do is rely on my illustration training! I need to actually LOOK at some bear pictures!
To the library!